My name is Olguine (O-GINe) Brutus and I’m a self taught knitter and crocheter. I am a follower of Christ. I grew up in the church but It was only in the recent years that I began to learn what that really means and I’m always learning more about the creative creator who made me creative aka in his own image.
I taught myself to knit several years ago. My first few items were of course scarfs and hats. I plagued my family with all the ‘prototypes’ that I made until they started to love receiving them. I mostly knitted items for my nephews and niece but now I also find myself knitting items for adults and home goods. I also just recently taught my myself to crochet. I love making items for people and knowing there happy when they receive it.
When I first taught myself how to knit, in 2012, it was just a fun hobby, something new to pass the time. When it turned into something old I walked away from it. The period after wasn’t a pretty one. It was after high school and I felt like my life was going nowhere and I felt like a failure. I was always seeking purpose which lead me to seeking the Lord. One day, I remembered a verse that my Sunday school teacher told me, “For I know the plans I have for you, says the Lord. Plans to prosper you and not to harm you. Plans to give you hope and a future.” (Jeremiah 29:11) A future! When life seemed so bleak, so mundane I remembered that God promised me a future. And He has shown me more than enough times that He keeps His promises. So I prayed for that promise to unfold for me now when I needed it the most and He lead me back to knitting in late 2015. Since then I haven’t stop knitting and even taught myself how to crochet. I love when people wear what I make. Even something as simple as a compliment means the world to me because now I have hope. Now I have a future. In mid 2016 OMK was born and I haven’t looked back once. I love what I do. My pieces are not just for my lovely customers but they’re also for me. Thank you for being a part of my journey
- The only toys I know how to knit are bunnies but I’m hoping to change that when I participate in Justine’s toy drive. Go check it out!
- Instagram has been amazing for me I’ve met so many wonderful makers and learn so much, not to mentions picture taking tips. Instagram worked way better than the Etsy teams for me.
- I attended to the OML 2017 and 2018 meet up and meet many wonderful maker as well as attended my first knit night; you can read about it here.
- I never stuck to anything for long. I had a bunch of different hobbies but knitting is the only one I always came back too.
- I’m learning how to make God the center of my life.
- I love dad jokes and puns.
- I’m bad at taking selfies.
- I love reading manga and watching anime.
- I’ve always wanted a pet turtle.
- I love breakfast.
- I was an avid book reader ( but knitting takes up most of my time now.)
- I like drama crime shows and sitcoms.
- I’m really picky with my shows and with my food.
- I’m trying to eat veggies more now. Such a money saver lol.
- I hate shopping for clothes unless there’s an event/occasion, in which case, I buy all things (I’m now trying to learn to make all the things.)
- I’m an impulse buyer for all things under $20.
- My career plan is travel the world.
- In 2016, I decide to dread lock my hair because I prefer a low maintenance hair style.
- I have a small wardrobe and I’m all for the capsule wardrobe and wear it again challenge
- I love being alone; I’m usually knitting or crocheting and listening to music or watching anime.
- I prefer oldies, folk, indie, alternative, and of course all genres of Christian, but not country music. #sorrynotsorry
- Click below to find out what I’m listening to at the moment.
Thanks for reading! Below you will find the main topics I talk about here on OMK.
We were created for a purpose.
We were also made to create.
When the two comes together we can explore all things.