My name is Olguine (O-GINe) Brutus and I’m a self taught knitter and crocheter. I am a follower of Christ. I grew up in the church but It was only in the recent years that I began to learn what that really means. I’m always learning more about the creative creator who created me to be creative.
When I first taught myself how to knit, in 2012, it was just a fun hobby, something new to pass the time. When it turned into something old I walked away from it. The period after wasn’t a pretty one. It was after high school and I felt like my life was going nowhere and I felt like a failure.
I was always seeking purpose which lead me to seeking the Lord. One day, I remembered a verse that my Sunday school teacher told me,
‘For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the Lord , thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.’Jeremiah 29:11
A future! When life seemed so bleak, so mundane, I remembered that God promised me a future. And He has shown me more than enough times that He keeps His promises. So I prayed for that promise to unfold for me now when I needed it the most and He lead me back to knitting in late 2015.
Everything aligned perfectly because I had been asking God about the plans he had for my life and here it was, knitting. Creating gave me the feeling of freedom and allowed me to push the limits of the box that I felt I was in.
The following year, I pushed the limits I had set for myself even more and started designing patterns Going from complex lace patterns to super simple scarf patterns. Every time I designed I saw my weakness and my limits. I strive to surpass them all for the satisfying end and sense of accomplishment I get after completing the piece I’m working on.
In my years as a maker, I’ve met tons of amazing people and learned a lot. Not just about knitting but on how to run a small business as well. In 2017, I made my first solo trip and attended OurMakerLife. It was then that I discovered my love for travel and I could not stop the need of wanting to see more of the world around me.
Thank you for being a part of my journey!
- The only toys I know how to knit are bunnies.
- Instagram has been amazing for me I’ve met so many wonderful makers and learn so much, not to mentions picture taking tips.
- I attended to the OML 2017 and 2018 meet up and meet many wonderful maker as well as attended my first Knit Night!
- I never stuck to anything for long. I had a bunch of different hobbies but knitting is the only one I always came back too.
- I’m learning how to make God the center of my life.
- I love dad jokes and puns.
- I recently started writing again.
- I’m getting better at taking selfies.
- I love reading manga and watching anime.
- I love breakfast food at any time of the day.
- I’ve always wanted a pet turtle because low maintenance.
- In 2016, I decide to loc my hair because low maintenance.
- My career plan is travel. Or at least live in a few different places.
- I was an avid book reader and I’m trying to get back to it, join me.
- I like drama crime shows and sitcoms. Tell me about any good ones you know 🙂
- I love being alone; I’m usually knitting, crocheting, listening to music or binge watching something.
- I dislike shopping for clothes so I’ve been doing Capsule Wardrobes every season. Shout out to Gillian and Jade
- I use to be really picky with my food. But traveling to different places has allowed me to expand my taste buds. I love Thai, Greek, and Mediterranean!
- I prefer oldies, folk, indie, alternative, and of course all genres of Christian, but not country music. #sorrynotsorry. Here is what I’m listening to at the moment.
Thanks for reading! I hope that while you are here, you learned something new, feel inspired, and enjoy being part of my journey. Please support OMK by signing up to join the Journey or by making a small donation below and have an amazing day. Until next time!
– Olguine Brutus
Come say hi and follow along 🙂